Eugene McDaniels’ 1971 album ‘Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse’ is one of my all time favourite favourites. I won’t go into details on it as Cosmo Baker does a pretty good job in this write up. As well as it being an excellent record it’s also been sampled pretty heavily so as we lost Eugene this week I did a quick mix this afternoon of all the records I can think of that have used it as a tribute. Are there any others that I left out? Let me know.
That’s not an original copy of Headless Heroes in that photo. I used to have a shady bootleg of the album that had half the instruments missing but I replaced that with the official repress from about 10 years ago.
There’s a reference to grandmothers on two of the records so I’ll dedicate this in loving memory to my grandmother Estella.
- ATCQ – People’s Instinctive interlude
- Organized Konfusion – Black Sunday
- Gravediggaz – Nowhere To Run
- De La Soul – Having a Ball (that Jagger the Dagger loop is pretty relentless…)
- The Beatnuts – Third of The Trio
- Quasimoto – Return of the Loop Digga
- Headless Heroes
- Beastie Boys – Get It Together (Buckwild Remix)
- Pete Rock & CL Smooth – Soul Brother #1
- Pete Rock & CL Smooth – Act Like You Know
- Krispy 3 – Pop Like Bubblegum
- Eric B & Rakim – Pass The Hand Grenade
- Cherrystones (This isn’t on HHotA, it’s from the album before but I like it so it went on. Also, I’m playing this at +8 as that what’s speed it’s at on a Ken Sport tape I used to listen to that a lot)