This is a live recording of a short set of Library music from the night of soundtrack music I do alongside DJ Wax On at Quad in Derby. Library music is commercial music that is used in television programmes – the stuff I’m playing could be heard in things like The New Avengers, Prisoner Cell Block H, The Sweeney or whatever – but this music wasn’t available to the public until the 90s when these records were getting rediscovered and put on compilations and what not.
Some of the mixes are a litte bit ropey but it’s still a good listen.
Giant’s Causeway – Johnny Pearson
Accadde A Bali – Ararwak
Hula Rock – Lew Howard & The All-Sters
Name Of The Game – Brian Bennett
Lightly Salted – Barry Ungar
Safari Park [Edit] – Stringtronics
Long Wait (from Hawaii 5-0) – Morton Stevens & His Orchestra
Discovery – Brian Bennett
Girl At The Top B – Alan Hawkshaw & Alan Parker
High Diver – Alan Hawkshaw
Bio Rhythm No.3 – Thomas Clausen
Ne Parlons Pas De Rien – Godchild
Mile High Swinger – Alan Hawkshaw
At Risk – David Lindup
The Heavies – James Clarke
That’s What Friends Are For (instrumental) – Alan Parker
Mixed Drums – Andy Loore
Scrabble – Rene Costy
BONUS: If you want to hear a little bit more you can download the next 20 minutes of what I played which included People Under the Stairs, The Police, BDP, Dave Matthews, Maggie Thrett and a few other bits. DOWNLOAD THE REST
For more knowledge on the Reel Music night like us on FB or follow us on the Twitter.
Myself and DJ Wax On did a one-off night of film music in June (which you can listen to in full here and check out Wax On’s promo mix) which went so well that’s it’s now a night called Reel Music which is on the first Friday of the month.
To mark this, another minimix has been done (check part one here). You can watch the Youtube version above or listen and download the Soundcloud version below. Also like, join or whatever you have to do on FB these days the facebook page and make suggestions on what you would like to hear on the night.
The next Reel Music is on Friday 7th October at Derby Quad and at the same time the Feel Good Music Club are doing a showing of the documentary Bendi Billi as part of Black History Month. This will be followed with a discussion on soul and black music with Devon Daley. Check out his site www.soul365.com for info. Also check out Devon’s pics of him with some associates – nice.
We’ll be playing out works by our favourite composers – Lalo Schifrin, Bernard Hermann, Dave Grusin, Quincy Jones and the like, as well as some of our favourites from the many hip hop and blaxploitation soundtracks and if it gets lively we’ll break out the Saturday Night Fever and Top Gun albums.
This is happening at Derby Quad in the Cathedral Quarter in the Market Place from 8pm on Saturday 18 June.
To get a flavour of what to expect DJ Wax On has put a very nice mix together that you can grab below these words you’re reading:
1. Pete Moore – Asteroid – Pearl & Dean
2. Al Green – Lets Stay Together – Pulp Fiction
3. Iggy Pop – Lust For Life – Trainspotting
4. The Temptations – My Girl – My Girl
5. Lalo Schifrin – Bullitt – Bullitt
6. Rhythm Heritage – Theme From S.W.A.T – S.W.A.T
7. Dusty Springfield – Spooky – Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels
8. Fab 5 Freddy – Down By Law – Wildstyle
9. Walter Murphy – A Fifth Of Beethoven – Saturday Night Fever
10. Frankie Valli – Grease Is The Word – Grease
11. Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders – Game Of Love – Good Morning Vietnam
12. Kenny Rogers & The First Edition – Just Dropped In – The Big Lebowski
13. Johnny Pate – Shaft In Africa – Shaft In Africa
14. Harold Faltermyer – Axel F – Beverly Hills Cop
15. Henry Mancini – Police Woman Theme – Police Woman
16. Dennis Coffey – Main Theme – Black Belt Jones
17. Propellerheads – On Her Majesty’s Secret Service
18. Curtis Mayfield – Pusherman – Superfly
19. Robert Tepper – No Easy Way Out – Rocky III
20. Mike Post – Magnum PI Theme – Magnum PI
21. Yello – Oh Yeah – Secret of My Success
22. Kenny Loggins – Danger Zone – Top Gun
23. Paul Engemann – Push It To The Limit – Scarface
24. Michael Sembello – Maniac – Flashdance
25. Kenny Loggins – Footloose – Footloose
26. Dick Dale & The Deltones – Misirlou – Pulp Fiction
27. EZ Rollers – Walk This Land – Lock, Stock Two Smoking Barrels
I’m a record collector and DJ that’s known for playing a selection of hip hop, funk, disco, jazz and whatever else I can get my mitts on. Over the years I’ve made appearances at a number of clubs and bars across the nation and have played alongside lots of people you’ve heard of but won’t list here. I was also part of the Off The Hook Soundsystem, which ran a pretty good hip hop and funk night in the first half of the '00s.
What you’ll find on here is a collection of my mixtapes for you to download for your listening enjoyment. I’ll also put other stuff up that I think you might like so dig in and enjoy yourselves.